Workspace Roles

Workspace roles control what a member can do within a workspace.

Role Name Permission (Member) Permission (Visitor)
Workspace Owner There can be only one workspace owner. See below tasks the workspace owner can perform. Visitors cannot be workspace owners. Visitors cannot create workspaces.
Editor See below tasks an Editor can perform. A visitor editor cannot share the workspace.
Commenter Commenters can only view the first page of any document in the workspace, regardless of document length. See below tasks a Commenter can perform.
Viewer Viewers can only view the first page of any document in the workspace, regardless of document length. See below tasks a Viewer can perform. A visitor viewer has all the same privileges as a viewer.

Workspace Tasks Performed by Role

Role Name Perfomed Task(s)
Workspace Owner *Indicates a task that only workspace owners can perform
  • Edit, delete, upload, or download content
  • Manage workspace collaborators
  • *Select a default workspace role for public workspaces they own
  • Comment on content
  • Send the workspace to the Wall
  • *Edit workspace settings (such as workspace name, description, and owner)
  • *Change a workspace to public or private
  • *Move a workspace between Organizations
  • *Duplicate and delete the workspace
    Editor
    • Edit, delete, upload, or download content
    • Comment on content
    • View workspace settings (workspace name, Organization, description, and owner)
    • Send the workspace to the Wall
    • Edit collaborators: add and remove members and visitors as collaborators
    • Change collaborator’s workspace roles
    Commenter
    • View all workspace content
    • View workspace collaborators
    • Comment on content
    • @mention collaborators
    • View workspace settings (such as workspace name, description, owner, and privacy settings)
    • Select or group select assets, copy them, and paste into another workspace
    Viewer
    • View all workspace content
    • View workspace collaborators
    • View workspace settings (such as workspace name, description, owner, and privacy settings)
    • Select or group select assets, copy them, and paste into another workspace

Hi Bluescape Team! I noticed that in Share, under the settings for sharing with the entire organization, there is a new “Template” role following No Access, Editor, Commenter and Viewer. I’m trying to understand the parameters of this role and how it varies from the roles spelled out above, but I see nothing on the Bluescape Community about it. Can you please advise?

Related to this, I’ve noticed that when a workspace is set to ‘All members of the organization have access’ and Template, the workspace does not appear in users’ Portals under My Workspaces + Owned by Anyone. It can be found by typing the name of the workspace in the Search, but it does not appear in the portal otherwise. I’ve since come to realize that if you click on All rather than My Workspaces, then the template workspaces do appear. My question is what is the difference between A) choosing My Workspaces and filtering by Owned by Anyone and B) choosing All? Thanks!

Hi Sarah,
    This was a legacy role that allow users to manage templates but we have enhanced the template feature so this role is no longer needed. Indeed this built in role will be removed in our Apr release to avoid confusion. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

1 Like