Basic Troubleshooting

Are you having performance issues with a workspace? Maybe your workspace won’t open, or it’s a little bit sluggish.

Let’s see what you can do to get your experience up to speed! Pun intended. :smirk:

Before contacting Bluescape Support

When experiencing issues with Bluescape in your web browser, try the following:

1. Make sure you’re on a fast, reliable internet connection.
  2. Is your browser up to date? If you are not using the latest version, update your browser.
  3. Restart your browser. If your browser is running for a long time, its application memory could impact Bluescape’s performance. Restarting the browser refreshes the application memory.
  4. Open the workspace in a new Incognito or Private browser window, bypassing any environmental issues with your browser (e.g., corrupt cache or cookies and interference from browser extensions).
    Note: If you’re using Chrome or Microsoft Edge and your browser doesn’t support this feature, you can try creating a new user profile.
  5. Open the workspace in a different browser.
  6. Close all unnecessary browser tabs. Each tab uses additional memory that could impact Bluescape’s overall performance.
  7. Disable any browser extensions, including ad-blocking extensions such as uBlock, AdBlock, and more, that could affect Bluescape’s performance. Then restart your computer.
    Note: In most cases, running a browser in Incognito/Private mode disables extensions, but users can set up extensions even in Incognito/Private mode.
  8. Clear browser cookies and cache, then restart your browser.

Troubleshooting the Bluescape Desktop App

Experiencing issues with the Desktop app? Try the following:

1. Try to quit the app by closing it using normal methods (for example, File > Close).
  2. If the app is unresponsive:
    On Microsoft Windows: Open Windows Task Manager > select Bluescape > End Task.

On Mac: In your Dock, right-select Bluescape > select Force Quit.

Then, restart the application.
  3. If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the application:
    Windows Instructions: Uninstall or remove apps and programs in Windows
    Mac Instructions: How to uninstall apps on your Mac

Note for Beta Testers

Beta Testers should also remove all residual folders after uninstalling Bluescape.

Asking Support Questions in the Community

Here’s a guide to what you should include in a new Support topic:

1. A detailed description of the issue. Please be as specific as possible.
    Here are some examples:
    • Instead of “freeze,” does the mouse stop responding? Can you switch tabs in the browser? Do other applications work as expected?
    • Instead of “crash,” is there an error message? Did the window close? Is there a black screen
    • Instead of “lag,” is it responding but just slowly? How slowly (5s vs 30s), and during what actions (loading, navigational panning/zooming, moving objects, typing text)?
  2. Steps to reproduce the issue.
  3. The URL to your workspace.
  4. A screenshot or video that shows the problem and any errors that show up.
  5. Frequency - Does this occur every time, occasionally, only from specific locations (for example, at home vs. at the office)?
  6. Number of users impacted.
  7. Is the issue specific to one workspace, or is it a larger/global issue?

Where to Next?

Not what you were looking for? Reply below or Search the community and discover more Bluescape.

Those are all great steps. Specifically, when experiencing slow response or load times, I like to go through this checklist:

• Check my internet connection. A slow or unstable internet connection can cause Bluescape to run slowly. I make sure to have a strong and stable connection while using Bluescape. Ideally, network bandwidth is 8 Mb/s at a minimum; 32 Mb/s.
  • Close & re-open my web browser. Would it be a troubleshooting checklist without the good old “off and on”? :joy:
  • Try Bluescape’s Desktop Application. The native application uses local caching, which should allow a slightly faster load times.
  • Check my hardware specs. If I am using an older device and it does not have specs relative to the current industry standard, this can cause unwanted lagging.
  • Verify my device’s operating system (for example, Windows or Mac) is fully updated.
  • Use a dedicated device. If I need to have other apps or processes running on my main device, I could consider using a separate, dedicated device to run Bluescape, such as a Wacom tablet.
  • Am I connected to a VPN? If so, check to see if issues persist when I turn it off.

Hope this helps!