Using 'seach canvas' as a workaround to present

Good afternoon, Bluescape Team,

This afternoon a presenter noticed a new behavior from Bluescape (since we have upgraded to 22.02) that I wanted to inquire about. When using the search button to navigate through canvases (the 'search canvas function, it seems that every canvas becomes ‘selected’ just by clicking the entry in the search bar. That means that a short context menu shows up for the selected canvas, (the shortcut menu that has color choice, layout, present,…) which seems to always cover up part of the screen. Usually the centered title box.

Since clicking through the ‘search canvas’ entries this is really the only way to present “canvas by canvas” in a controlled manner, this causes an aesthetic issue and keeps the presentation looking unpolished. Anyway we can not have the context menu pop-up when ‘jumping’ from canvas to canvas from the 'search canvas’ function?

Let me know, thanks!

I see what you mean, @Nate. The context menu would get in the way, however, it is operating as intended for it to appear for the selected canvas.

What strikes me as interesting about your inquiry is that you use the search function to present canvases. First off, let me say that is genius! :exploding_head:

Out of curiosity, are you using screen share to present like this?

Hi Michelle,

Generally, we dont use the “screen share” option, but instead the “lead/follow” and jump canvases depending on the presentation. Its the only way right now to perform a clean presentation in a predetermined order w/o a lot of extraneous movement or zooming of the screen (which some people dislike or consider unprofessional).

Previous to the last UI update, jumping between canvases (or location markers) was not a search function, but was considered a navigation instead. This still confuses people to this day why navigating the space via canvases is under a “Search” icon. But, oh well. (Using the pgUp, pgDwn keys to jump between canvases would be a great keyboard shortcut add)

Hope this clarifies the use case a little bit. Thanks for getting back to me!

Nate

Hey @Nate, I know this was a while back. I wanted to follow up and see if you have used the hyperlinking feature to help with presentation navigation. You can set up canvas-to-canvas links, which makes moving through content much more straightforward as you present canvases to your audience.

For an overview, take a look at Two Ways to Use Workspace Hyperlinking.

Let us know your thoughts!

Hi Stefanie! YES! I love this feature. It allows me and my clients to make dynamic presentations, immersive storyboards, and choose-your-own-adventure style training and learning. Having this feature helps users become more immersed in the content, without having to search or scroll to find related or next-in-line content. Thank you to the Bluescape team for prioritizing and implementing this feature!

4 Likes