|This topic may not be relevant to all Bluescape users and may not apply to all Organizations. If you’re unsure whether your Organization has this feature/capability/integration, please reach out to your IT department.|
This topic is for Enterprise customers only and provides instructions on connecting your workspace to a Slack channel.
For Bluescape SaaS Customers
1. Enable the Org Flag
a. Open the Admin panel.
b. Select Activate Slack Integration for the target Org.
2. Connecting a Workspace
a. Open a Workspace.
b. Open the Comments panel.
c. Select Let’s do it, then select Continue With Integration.
d. With the Slack Authorization pop-up window open, review the required scopes and
e. Close the Slack Authorization pop-up window.
f. Back in the Workspace, type/select a channel you want to connect.
Once complete, events like starting a meeting or sending a comment are also sent to the selected Slack channel.
3. Disconnecting a Workspace
a. Open a connected workspace.
b. Select the menu next to the channel name
c. Select Disconnect from Slack.
For On-Premise Customers
This guide assumes you deploy Bluescape as your on-premise solution. For customers using our SaaS offering, follow For Bluescape SaaS Customers to connect your Workspace to a Slack Channel.
1. Creating A Slack App
To facilitate callbacks to your on-premise deployment, your company must first create a Slack App with the below manifest replaced with your existing custom domain.
display_information: name: Bluescape description: Supports connecting Bluescape to Slack background_color: "#000000" features: bot_user: display_name: Bluescape always_online: false oauth_config: redirect_urls: - https://slack-connector.acme.com/callback scopes: user: - channels:write - groups:write - channels:read - groups:read bot: - channels:manage - channels:read - chat:write - groups:read - groups:write - links:read - links:write - users:read - users:read.email settings: interactivity: is_enabled: true request_url: https://slack-connector.acme.com/api/v3/hooks/interaction org_deploy_enabled: false socket_mode_enabled: false token_rotation_enabled: false
Explanation of Scopes Required
The Slack OAuth Scopes listed in the manifest are required to enable the user/bot to interact with the Slack API. The below explains how these scopes apply in practice.
- channels:read, channels:write - Allows the user to list the Public channels they are a member of and add the Bot to the selected Public channel
- groups:read, groups:write - Allows the user to list the Private channels they are a member of and add the Bot to the selected Private channel
- chat:write - Allows the service to send, update and delete messages sent to the connected channel.
- channels:read, groups:read - These two permissions allow the service to obtain information about the Public/Private Slack channels for which the user has added/authorized the Bot.
- users:read, users:read.email - These two permissions (note users:read is a Slack prerequisite of users:read.email) are used to look up users by their Bluescape email within Slack to allow @mentioned Bluescape users to be correctly @mentioned and notified within Slack.
- channels:manage, groups:write - These two permissions allow the Bot to leave a channel automatically when the feature disconnects from the Workspace.
- links:read, links:write - These permissions are required to allow the unfurling of Bluescape links within the connected Slack channel.
Follow Appendix L - Slack Integration provided to enable Slack Integration functionality as part of your on-prem deploy package. As noted there, by default, this feature is disabled and must be explicitly enabled.
3. Enabling the Org Flag
After creating the Slack App and the Infrastructure deployment is successful, you must enable the Organization flag for Slack Integration to offer Workspaces to be connected.
4. Connecting a Workspace
After the above has been satisfied, users should follow For Bluescape Cloud Customers to connect a Bluescape Workspace to a targeted Slack Channel.
Where to Next?
Not what you were looking for? Reply below or Search the community and discover more Bluescape.