An overview of workspace content. Click to watch the video.
The workspace toolbar exists to add elements to your workspace, including pen strokes, shapes, notecards, text, uploaded files, and more.
Let’s explore the functions of each element in the Workspace Content Toolbar (pictured below):
You can draw and write notes within the workspace using mouse strokes or your finger.
To draw in a workspace:
- Click the (Pen) icon in the left toolbar.
- The Pen Settings tray opens. The default is the pen tool (highlighted in blue in the top row).
Note: The icon indicates the eraser option.
Select one of the three pen stroke widths.
Choose the color you want from the color palette. You can also add and select a custom color.
Your cursor or finger becomes a pen. Begin writing or drawing anywhere in the workspace by clicking and dragging your mouse.
Note: The pen panel closes by default after you begin drawing. If you want the pen panel to remain open as you draw, click and drag the panel to a new position in the workspace before you start drawing.
You can use the pen tool on the workspace background, images, notecards, shapes, and documents. However, you must draw separately on each item. For example, if you are drawing on the background and begin to draw over an image, the pen continues to mark up the background behind the image and not the image itself. To switch from drawing on the background to drawing on the image, you must stop drawing on the background and begin drawing on the image with a new click.
When you draw on an asset such as a notecard or shape and resize the shape, the strokes will automatically resize to fit the asset.
In addition, to annotate a document (Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, PDF), it must be open in the workspace first. For more information, read Bluescape Document Viewer Functionality.
Note: you cannot draw on the following assets:
- Cloud storage content from Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, or Microsoft OneDrive
- YouTube videos
- Interactive browser content (websites)
An overview of shapes in the workspace. Click here to watch the video.
You can add a range of shapes to workspaces. You also can embed text into these shapes, join shapes and other objects with line connectors, and perform object scaling. Also, you can add common shapes as well as 5-pointed stars, cylinders, lines, and arrows to facilitate the process of building templates, workflows, and procedure-driven diagrams.
To add shapes to a workspace:
- From the workspace toolbar, click the (Shapes) icon.
- Select the preferred shape that you want to add to the workspace.
3. Hover your cursor over the workspace area where you want this object to appear before clicking your mouse to insert it. The shape appears in the workspace along with its associated toolbar. You can perform several actions, including changing the asset colors, attaching connecting lines, and adding text. You can modify text by changing the font size, style, and alignment.
Notecards are digital sticky pads that you can add to a workspace. You can customize notecards by selecting a range of colors and inserting text such as action items, feedback, and decisions; you can even use specific colors to distinguish among each.
Notecards include preset sizes (small, medium, and large) to promote workspace uniformity. You can adjust the workspace color schemes to emphasize the notecard.
To add a notecard:
From the workspace toolbar, click the (Notecard) icon.
From the Notecard modal, select a color. You can also create and select a custom color.
Hover the cursor over the preferred workspace area and click your mouse to insert the notecard.
The notecard appears in the workspace along with its associated Text toolbar.
Begin typing in the notecard.
You can add text to a workspace using a text box. Here, you can format individual letters, words, phrases, and sentences. With text enhancements, you can add bullets, change the text color, highlight content, modify font sizes, alter alignment, and use italics/bold fonts/underlines/strikethroughs. You also can add hyperlinks that open a new browser tab.
You can add text to text boxes and Shapes and Notecards.
To add text to a workspace:
To add text to a workspace:
- Click the (Text) icon from the workspace toolbar.
- Hover your cursor over the workspace area where you want the text to appear before clicking your mouse to insert it. The text box appears in the workspace along with its associated toolbar.
- Enter content in the text box. You can type text into the text box or paste text here. You also may use an international keyboard. The text box auto-fits content and adjusts the height as needed as you enter text. An anchor point or notch appears on each side of the text box, allowing you to grab and extend the text box horizontally.
- Use the toolbar icons to format your text. After selecting and using a toolbar option, focus returns to the text box.
Learn how to upload content in a workspace. Click to watch the video.
There are many ways to add content to your workspace from the Add Content menu.
The options are (from top to bottom):
- Add files from your computer
- Add a Smart Grid
- Add a Template
- Add a Timer to Your Workspace.
- Add web browser content
- Add content from cloud storage services (note that these options depend on your custom integrations).
Where to Next?
Not what you were looking for? Reply below or Search the community and discover more Bluescape.