Accepted File Types for Upload

File Type File Extension
Images .jpeg/.jpg/ .png .tiff/.tif .gif
Animations .gif
Videos .mov .mp4 .mv4 .mkv .avi .flv .wmv .webm
Documents .ppt/.pptx .doc/.docx .xls/.xlsx .pdf
Live Content Screen share, HDMI/USB inputs

File Upload Limitations

The workspace is a central repository for storing, reviewing, and updating project assets. A byte, page, and megapixel limit define the largest file or image you can upload. Establishing asset limits improves workspace performance. Insight into specific file extension limits is outlined below.

File Type Upload Limit
Images
50 MBImage upload limits:
  • 125 Megapixels
Animations
15 MBAnimation upload limits:

Hard Maximum Specifications
  • Maximum Upload Size - 15 MB (Web), 5 MB (Mobile)
  • Maximum Frames - 350
  • Maximum Pixel Count (width x height x # frames) - <= 300
  • Maximum Frames per Second - 30

Hard Maximum BehaviorThe member selects files to upload. The Bluescape-backed system processes the files, and any of the following are true:
  • Maximum File Size - <= 15 MB
  • Maximum Frames - <= 500
  • Maximum Pixel Count - <= 300M
  • Maximum Frames per Second - 30
  • A message returns notifying the user that file name “X” exceeds the Bluescape maximum limit for this file.
  • The user can view the file size requirements by expanding a dialog (for example) from the error message.

Downscaling BehaviorThe user selects files to upload. The Bluescape-backed system processes the files, and any of the following are true:
  • Maximum Frame Rate >= 350 and <= 500. The file is downscaled to 350 frames by dropping every 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (and so on) frame as necessary.
  • Maximum Resolution >= 1280 x 1080. The file is downscaled to 1280 x 1080. The system maintains the aspect ratio.
  • Maximum Frames per Second >= 30 and <= 60. The file is downscaled to 30 FPS.
  • A message returns notifying the user that file name “X” exceeds the Bluescape maximum limit for this file type and the file was downscaled during the upload process, and the file quality may be degraded.
  • The user can view the file size requirements by expanding a dialog (for example) from the error message.
Videos
150 MBVideo upload limits:
  • Enabled on a per-Team basis
  • Maximum upload resolution is 4000p and maximum playback resolution is 1080p
  • Viewing all video types from the Wall is supported
  • Codec support for H.264, H.265, AV1, V8, V9, MPEG2, MPEG1, ProRes (10, 12 bits)
  • Learn about adding video content: Using the Bluescape Video Player
Documents
1 GBDocument upload limits:
  • PowerPoint - animations, transitions, embedded videos, and embedded external content are not supported
  • Excel - 20K maximum rows advised but not enforced
  • Microsoft documents - load in the workspace via the Bluescape Document Viewer
  • Microsoft documents - default upload limit is 150 MB; however, this can vary by team
  • Contact your Team Administrator if you have questions on video upload limits

Other Limitations

Bluescape on the Web

Due to limitations on running a browser within a browser, many external sites are not navigable within the Web client – though they are on a Wall client. Navigable sites must support both HTTPS and iFrames.

Bluescape App for Desktop & Large Displays

In the Bluescape app, browsers have the following limitations:

• Cookies are only stored while the session is active
    • When the workspace is inactive/closed, all cookies are deleted
  • No browser history is maintained
  • Pop-ups are not supported

Image rendering in the Bluescape App

Any image larger than 12 megapixels in a workspace opened on a large display might be downscaled to maximize workspace memory. Similarly, if the sum of all images exceeds 3 gigapixels, the quality might be downscaled to maximize workspace memory. (3 gigapixels equals approximately 250 photos captured on an iPhone.)

Note: When you download an image from the workspace, the original quality remains intact – even if the image quality is downscaled when opened on a large display.

2 Likes

Thanks for this quick guide to commonly asked questions. Any chances there are more types of readable file-types coming in the near future?

@Nate The team is looking at expanding the supported file types for rich media, although the discussion is continuing as to which specific file types will be included. Do you have specific ones in mind?

I’m so glad you asked! :slight_smile:

These are the most requested types I’ve received:

1. txt, .rtf - easy conversion to Text Boxes / Note Cards
  2. .csv - not sure best way to display, probably just into a text box
  3. Outlook files / common email file types for drag and drop
  4. .vsd (visio files)
  5. .dwg, .dxf, 3D-Cad files (I know there’s a lot here, but the more common ones are ok)
  6. more robust excel (.xls) display
  7. apple file formats (for pics, movies)
  8. .svgs (scalable vectors)
  9. .html
  10. .psd

There’s probably more, but those are the ones off the top of my head that people have asked me about.

-Nate

1 Like

Actually - I missed a big one on the list above: unknown type.

If Bluescape had the ability to upload an unknown file type, say a .bin, and instead of rejecting the upload as an unknown type, just place an icon in its place, then that would be SO useful for those that want to pass types back and forth, for sharing or reference, but don’t need Bluescape to render them. In this capacity, Bluescape would be just acting as the UI for the sharing of files.

I always forget that people do ask me for this, but it’s usually followed up with a specific type, so it slipped my mind.

-Nate

1 Like